When we hear about delays at airports more often than not the delays are due to the airlines not meeting their scheduled arrival and departure times for a multitude of reasons. The delays are caused by weather, mechanical breakdowns, and other factors. Today’s delays are due to insufficient staffing of Transportation Safety Officers, SV-1802 job series positions, at airport choke points across the nations such as O’Hare airport in Chicago. The TSA is hiring hundreds of Transportation Security Officers nationwide to fill the gap. These TSA job openings will be crucial in handling these long delays.
The Transportation Security Agency (TSA) was transferred from the Department of Transportation to the Department of Homeland Security after the September 11th attack. I was a manager at the Greater Pittsburgh International Airport’s air traffic control tower when the TSA was transferred and I felt the move premature.
Regardless of who is managing the program the fact of the matter is that over 700 new Transportation Security Officers are needed and the TSA is hiring. They have numerous job announcements  open now until the end of May and throughout the year as vacancies occur. This is a job that requires a high school education for the most part and the officer’s starting salary ranges from $15.13 to as high as $23.66 per hour with generous benefits. These TSA jobs will be available nationwide.
Selectees are required to travel a minimum of two (2) weeks in a full-time duty status to attend TSA’s New Hire training. New Hire training and travel requirements vary by duty location and may require up to six (6) weeks of full-time duty status travel. This training will occur away from the employee’s airport of record and employees are paid for compensable hours and reimbursed for authorized travel expenses. While employed with TSA, other occasional travel may be required.
Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) provide security and protection of air travelers, airports and aircraft in a courteous and professional manner. This includes:
- Operating various screening equipment and technology to identify dangerous objects in baggage, cargo and on passengers, and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft.
- Performing searches and screening, which may include physical interaction with passengers (e.g., pat-downs, search of property, etc.), conducting bag searches and lifting/carrying bags, bins, and property weighing up to 70lbs.
- Controlling terminal entry and exit points.
- Interacting with the public, giving directions and responding to inquiries.
- Maintaining focus and awareness while working in a stressful environment which includes noise from alarms, machinery and people, crowd distractions, time pressure, and disruptive and angry passengers, in order to preserve the professional ability to identify and locate potentially life threatening or mass destruction devices, and to make effective decisions in both crisis and routine situations.
- Engaging in continuous development of critical thinking skills, necessary to mitigate actual and potential security threats, by identifying, evaluating, and applying appropriate situational options and approaches. This may include application of risk-based security screening protocols that vary based on program requirements.
- Retaining and implementing knowledge of all applicable Standard Operating Procedures, demonstrating responsible and dependable behavior, and is open to change and adapts to new information or unexpected obstacles.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National at time of application submission
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of application submission
- Pass a Drug Screening and Medical Evaluation 
- Pass a background investigation including a credit and criminal check
- No default on $7,500 or more in delinquent debt (but for some bankruptcies)
- Selective Service registration required
Applicants must meet these qualifications in order to be further evaluated in the TSO hiring process:
- Have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) credential OR at least one year of full-time work experience in the security industry, aviation screening, or as an X-ray technician
- Be proficient in the English language (i.e., able to read, write, speak, and comprehend)
Current Job Openings
Job announcements are now open from 5/18/ to 5/31/2016 so you have to act NOW. Click on the following link to learn more about TSA jobs and to find job vacancy announcements. Positons can be advertised at any time as vacancies occur. Check for open job announcements frequently.
- TSA Job Listings 
Helpful Career Planning Tools
- Applying For Federal Jobs 
- Civil Service Exams 
- Law Enforcement Jobs 
- Overseas Jobs 
- Interview Preparation 
- Veteran’s Preference 
- Take Charge of Your Federal Career ; An Action Oriented Career Management Workbook for Federal Employees
Visit our other informative site
- http://FederalJobs.net  (Explore occupations, find jobs and application guidance)
- http://federalretirement.net  (Retirement & other federal employee benefits)
- http://PostalWork.net  (Postal occupations and exams)
- http://www.SearchFedJobs.com (Consolidated job search)
- Federal Employee’s Career Development & IDP Center 
The information provided may not cover all aspects of unique or special circumstances, federal and postal regulations, and programs are subject to change. Our articles and replies are time sensitive. Over time, various dynamic human resource guidance and factors relied upon as a basis for this article may change. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for your situation and this service is not affiliated with OPM, the postal service or any federal entity. You should consult with school counselors, hiring agency personnel offices, and human resource professionals where appropriate. Neither the publisher or author shall be liable for any loss or any other commercial damages, including but not limited to special, incidental, consequential, or other damages.
Last 5 posts by Dennis Damp
- Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program 2022  - September 22nd, 2021
- Compliance Inspection and Support Careers  - August 20th, 2021
- Clerk & Assistant Jobs in the GS-0303 Occupational Series  - July 2nd, 2021
- Equal Opportunity Compliance jobs in the GS-0360 occupational series  - June 19th, 2021
- Management and Program Analyst Specialist - Featured Occupation  - May 10th, 2021