This checklist links you to the information you need to start your
federal job search. Work through the checklist to find job
announcements, prepare a professional federal style resume, network with
federal agencies, explore related careers, and most importantly, FIND a
high paying, secure federal government job.
- Career Exploration:
- Review these areas if applicable:
- Locate the following list of items for your application:
- High school and college transcripts
- Military records, DD 214
- Past employment history (For all companies or agencies that you
- Company name and address
- Immediate supervisor and phone number
- Other qualifications
- Job related skills
- Computer proficiency
- Licenses and certifications
- Honors, awards
- Special accomplishments
- Public speaking
- Performance awards
- Find job vacancy announcements:
- Call local agencies listed in the phone directory.
- Review the application process
- Tailor your application
(federal style resume) to the job Announcement - For most jobs, you will
be able to apply immediately online. Some agencies, such as the VA, do
required faxed or emailed applications for certain occupational groups such
as health care providers.
- Completing your Federal Style Resume
- Apply for the jobs you identified under "What's Available."
- Chapter Six of
The Book of U.S. Government Jobs provides resume examples with
formatting techniques and step-by-step instructions on how to tailor your
application to the job announcement.
Resume Writing Service
- If you were unable to locate a sufficient number of job vacancies visit
individual agency recruiting web sites to find job vacancies.
- Sign up on USAJOBS to receive
notification when jobs in your occupation are announced.
- Complete and sign ALL application forms. Most applications are now submitted online without signature.
- Retain a copy of each job announcement and print out a copy of
your resume that you submitted with your package. You may need to
review them prior to the interview.
- Note the contact information on each job announcement and retain this information to follow-up with the agency if you don't hear
back from them in a reasonable period of time.
- Submit your application online if possible. Always follow the
application submission instructions on the job announcement.
Your application will be processed and results returned to you within a few
weeks. In most cases you will receive a Notice of Rating or Notice of Results
informing you of your eligibility by mail. If rated eligible, your name will be
placed on the Federal register list for that position along with all other
eligible applicants. Your name and application will be forwarded to a selecting
official as positions become available.
Return to Top of Page